The Big White Villa - Vacation rental villa in Jamaica

Legal Aspects

A marriage license is necessary before any wedding can take place in Jamaica, whether your ceremony is religeous or civil.

Documents required where applicable:

  • Notarized copy of birth certificates
  • Proof of divorce (if applicable) – Notarized copy of divorce
  • Notarized copy of drivers license
  • Letter stating occupation, father’s name, age and date of birth
  • Notarized copy of death certificate in the case of widow/widower
  • Notarized copy of adoption papers also reflecting name changes
  • Notarized change of name deed if other than that stated on the birth certificate which is not associated with a marriage or adoption
  • Legal translation of documents to English where originals are in another language
  • If you have had a change of name, a change of name deed is requested

All documents must be notarized and sent to The Big White Villa Weddings at least six weeks prior to the wedding date and the originals given to the wedding coordinator upon arrival on the island.

Please note if documents do not arrive six weeks prior to the wedding, a late fee of US$150 will be required to process license.

Please note that a non-refundable 50% deposit is required to confirm all wedding dates and time. For deposits toward receptions, a contract will be done which will display a payment schedule. We ask that clients adhere to the payment schedule to avoid cancellation or relocation of weddings.